Monday, July 28, 2008

One Wrong Turn



"Small errors can have a larger impact on our lives. The longer we delay corrective action the larger the needed changes become" as taught in a lesson by Karen Connell.
I was supremely lost. One initial wrong turn and then another...where in the world was I? So close to home, so close to my destination! No GPS to guide me. A cell phone left at home. Friends expecting me 45 minutes ago. Attack of the full fledged hissy fit. As I drove and drove in the middle of seemingly nowhere I became more and more frustrated and aggravated. I was angry with myself and ready to go home except I had no idea which way was home. I was continuously circling, so close yet so far. If I wanted to attend church there were dozens of churches, one on each corner! Yet, I continued to drive and rage at the world. I finally saw a church with a sign that said " When in crisis, turn to the Lord and Move On" Hmm...I finally saw a road that looked remotely familiar, however, I was on the "wrong" end. I pulled into the quaint church driveway pictured above and sat for a minute and gathered my wits (what was left) said a prayer, took a few pictures and drove on. Finally, I was making progress and reached my friend's house one hour later than originally planned. Upon arrival I launched into a diatribe of my whereabouts complete with unladylike language, amidst much laughter I was welcomed and given refreshments! A fun time was had by all. Yet underneath all the fun I felt a sense of unease. As dusk settled upon the land, I arrived home without incident. Reflecting on the days events I was able to pinpoint the reason for my unease. I had relied on myself and in frustration behaved badly. No one was there to witness my outburst, however, I knew it was not my best self. I have been relying on the "world" lately and less on the "spirit". I know that before a situation turns to a crisis to call on a higher power. In my case, my Heavenly Father who knows what I need often before I do. As I expressed gratitude for my day and my blessings I felt at peace. On Sunday, the talks and lessons were very much directed towards relying on Heavenly Father and believing in Him. One part of the Sunday School lesson mentioned that Korihor (Book of Mormon) was speaking out of both sides of his mouth. In effect he was saying I believe there is a God, but I can't see him, so unless I see some signs I don't believe in God. So which is it, you either believe or you don't. For me, I know God lives I just don't always listen and always regret that decision. We are given a great gift of the Holy Spirit and if we will listen to the still, small voice, we won't have to resort to outrageous behavior. The lesson from our Relief Society meeting was based on making errors and taking corrective actions quickly. On my way home I gave a great deal of thought to the messages I received and went home to ponder them further. The thought that kept coming to me is that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. I have been reading a lot of diverse material lately, some good, some questionable. I have been enjoying a non fiction book by a well known author and midway through this book, the author refers to religion and church in a very negative manner particularly the religion of her birth. As I continued reading, the stories and characters in the book resembled the very things the author would have been taught as a result of her religion. For all of her bravado, her bitterness shines through. I am unable to finish the book (which for me is highly unusual) I pick it up only to put it back down. I feel that sense of unease and so choosing to listen to that still, small voice I think I'll pass on finishing this particular book.
As for me, I am not ashamed to stand for God, the Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is SO interesting that you mention how an author's religion can affect their writing.

My hands-down favorite author is Orson Scott Card; more specifically, his "Ender's Game" series.

When I found out he was Mormon, I was completely flummoxed. He touches on many religions in the course of his books, even different sects of the same faith!

He always treated it with...I don't know how to say this...like a gentleness. He treats faith, no matter the religious guise, with respect and reverence.

And it made sense for me, in a way, because he so cherishes his own faith.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I've had many such experiences in which I was running around like a chicken with her head cut off, worrying and wondering about something, when all I had to do is ASK. I fervently believe answers are only a whisper away, but we get so caught up in the day to day grind that we lose sight of that.

scchesleys said...

You are so right, that when we rely on "things of man" rather than "things of the spirit", we often get misguided. Great post and I love the pictures.

campbell said...

I loved your comments yesterday in Relief Society. Thank you for bloggng about it. This is so true of everything in life. All Heavenly Father does is he wants us to ask. He is alwasy there for us but where are we. Great post Connie.

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

Amen! And thank you for reminding me.