Friday, October 31, 2008
I actually love this coat!!! Fall colors and all.
Guess who's Mom was not the most creative on the block??? Notice the snarky grin rather than a smile! Geez Mom, did we have a shawl or something...a blue turtleneck...really
Some one's Mom was more creative than mine. I was so envious of those boots and cape I almost cried!
In the "What the Heck Were You Thinking" Category...I can't believe I actually went out in public dressed as a deranged sugar plum fairy or something. I am so not sure what look I was going for that night. It was the late seventies...what can I say?
No money, no problem...grab some nighties, slippers, hair curlers and nets...ta dah...costume!!!
Notice older child looks like she is thinking...just wait until we pick out your nursing home!
And the "What should have been a costume but really IS NOT" category.....
Back yard view of my Mother's childhood home in Germany...my aunt still lives there...pretty creepy looking...huh...note wooden shed not to be confused with wooden outhouse in rear of yard. In one of my previous posts I mentioned the outhouse and the creepy cellar. Members of our family have lived in this house for 80+ years. That cellar gave me nightmares...one section was for beer and lemonade (kept it cold) it was delivered weekly in crates...one section held fire wood...one section was for storage and the infamous bathing section and laundry area...this place is perfect for a Halloween Scarefest. So whatever you do or don't celebrate today...have a great one! Happy Halloween! Excuse me, I hear the candy dish calling my name...
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
I know you love me...lick...lick...I'm sorry Mom....I really am....sorry (until next time)
Thursday, October 23, 2008
I love everything about books...the colors of the book spines, new crisp pages to turn, that new book smell or that old book smell from the thrift store. I cannot bear to pass a bookstore or library without going inside and having a look around. Fortunately for me, the library is free and lucky me since we own property in two counties...I get library cards for BOTH areas! There are certain books, though, that you simply must purchase...ones you are sure you will read again...ones you absolutely cannot wait until the library gets their copies or until your name comes up on the waiting list...Sadly, I am in no better shape financially if I avoid the bookstores and choose online book purchases...not quite the same as touching the books, flipping through them, reading short passages...Simply put, I have an addiction where books and reading are concerned...I can only think of a few other things that I would rather do...give me a rainy Saturday and you can find me curled up with a mug of something hot and tasty and a book.
Secondary to the book problem is the ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh I haven't read that glossy magazine yet problem.
I am pretty sure this problem is heredity as my mother relies on me to keep her well stocked with books (she doesn't drive) and my daughters have inherited this proclivity from me and it's looking like the grandchildren have the same affliction...We don't understand people that don't read! What is wrong with them???? They are missing something in their DNA for sure. My husband is a non-reader, that is to say he does not read recreationally. A typical conversation between us would be like this
Him: "What are you reading"
Me: A book
Him: " What's it about"
Me: "Why don't you read it yourself" (In other words, I would have to stop reading to explain this to you so leave me alone)
Him: "Aren't you going to watch (this ridiculous, boring, blah, blah) t.v. show with me."
Him: "Are you watching this?"
Me: "Hmmmmmmm....oh yeah sure I am"
Him: "There is a parade of pink elephants running through the living room"
Me: "That's nice honey"
Him: "I'm going to bed"
Me: "I'll be there in a minute" (after I read 27 more chapters) or "let me get to a good place to put my book down"
So at my 12 step program for people addicted to reading and books I will have to admit that today (just today) I purchased the book club book, two hardback books and one magazine...did I mention I was addicted to magazines as well...oh oh...scratch that I think I am addicted to the written word in all forms including writing and blogging...oh dear! My rationale and justification for said problem is a) it doesn't hurt anyone, b) I am learning stuff, c) it keeps me quiet and off the ledge, d) I don't have to feed my books or put gas in them, e) I have many friends with the same "problem" - we call it a book club, f) you have something to do while you wait for things
Now this is what I call Livin!!!
I was thinking of an episode of "Twilight Zone" that was completely freaky...Burgess Meredith plays a character that absolutely LOVES to read and he wears extremely thick "coke bottle bottom" glasses...poor man gets nagged incessantly by his wife and his boss about his reading....well the end has arrived for everyone except old Burgess and he is on the steps of maybe a former library with thousands of books all around, he is practically orgasmic over his good fortune...as he begins to sort and stack the books, his glasses fall off and he steps on them...rendering him incapable of seeing anything...poor man just breaks down. I feel your pain brother...without my glasses I can't see to read either. All the time in the world and all the books in the world....sad music playing in the background....
So, I was thinking if you rode a subway or a bus or a train to work...would that be a golden opportunity for reading or am I totally naive on that point? I live out in the "country suburbs" and have to drive myself in to the City (we "ain't" talkin NYC or Chicago type City) Do you share my malady? So what have you read lately? Any great recommendations?
P.S. The book club selection I purchased is "The Diaries of Adam and Eve" by Mark Twain
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
- SUVS...you either love em or hate em - Mr. SUV driver is it really necessary for you to join me in the median thus removing any possibility of a clear view? Or must you pull as far as possible beside me effectively blocking my view of oncoming traffic...you are going in the other direction and must wait anyway...is it necessary to delay me as well? Plus, unless your career consists of delivering stuff all day or you have many, many children why do you need such a gas guzzler anyway? I bet you don't car pool either. In addition, I may be small (car) but I am sleek and fast...I won't move out of your way no matter how much you tail gate me that is what the passing lane is for!!!
- Telemarketers...I know you are trying to make a living but NO means NO! I particularly love it when you call our place of business and attempt to ask a gazillion questions...I am WORKING...after repeated phone calls and your continued disregard for the word NO...I WILL... put you on hold forever...hang up on you...consider blowing an air horn in your ear...You also seem to know the EXACT moment I walk in the door at home or the EXACT moment I wish to eat dinner...thank goodness for caller id! P.S. the out of area, unknown caller thing...I don't answer those at all...that is what answering machines are for...LEAVE ME ALONE!!! If I want something, I will call you...DITTO for POLITICAL volunteers...I know you believe in your cause, however it is none of your business what my party affiliation is (if I have one) or which candidate will receive my vote. I will always tell you the opposite of what you wish to hear.
- PLEASE, for all that is holy and good in my life, NO MORE NEGATIVE e-mails about the economy or any political candidate...I don't read them...it can in no way help my world view. No more forwards that will tell me I am going to die or something bad will happen if I don't participate. If a message is uplifting and worthwhile, I will forward it...I do not forward everything that comes my way.
- To the prostitutes hanging out at the gas station/liquor store, PLEASE leave our husbands, sons, nephews, employees alone...they are going about their business...maybe you should do your business on your own corner...p.s. I don't roll that way either so please quit flagging me down or trying to get in my car!
- Dear Fast Food Employee (mostly McDonald's) how does DIET COKE sound like ICED TEA??? Are you rebelling against your job? Is it really that hard to get the order correct? And while you are at it, could you possible not overfill the cup and if you do, could you possibly wipe it off before handing it to me? Are the napkins the equivalent of the holy grail to you? I would like to have at least one...more like a couple. I know I have not grown two heads when I ask for extra napkins...I am not insane just because I want a napkin and all I have ordered is something to drink...is there some unwritten fast food law that says I have to order food to receive a napkin? Just sayin...
- Dear Fashion Designers, clothing store buyers...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?????? I just want some basic items of clothing and I am not a six foot tall size 0 - 2 model...where have all the classics gone...anyone out there know? I just want "normal" clothes with minimal embellishments...Please???
- CELL PHONES...see earlier post on cell phone rant for specifics...just for today...please, please do not stand in front of my desk and talk on your cell phone...please...put the phone down when attempting to park your SUV!!! or any other car for that matter...unless your vehicle is on fire or you are piled into another vehicle (because YOU WERE ON YOUR CELL PHONE) please what is so important it cannot wait until you are parked?
There, there I feel so much better...
Will the elves that are raiding my closet at night and making alterations on my clothes, please stop...everything is either too big, too small, the wrong color...or just plain itchy, uncomfortable or doesn't feel like pajamas!
Also, the perfect handbag is out there, I just know it...it is being elusive...ahhh...one could wax on and on about the desired perfect handbag to hold all the stuff we must carry from one location to another...If you have found the perfect one please, please tell me where and what kind or better yet...just send it to me!!! I am irritated with the miserable little buggers in my closet masquerading as "good" handbags.
There, I really feel better now...thank you for your love and support...and remember to vote!
P.S. Thank you Kristi for the use of "the epitome of sweetness and light" It suits you really well and I am still working on it!
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Thursday, October 9, 2008
I love to take pictures, usually at least one each day...a day in the life of...capturing photos enables one to look more closely and appreciate the world around us. I absolutely have no idea what happened here but I like it anyway. I like the way the colors blend together to create an abstract looking scene. Maybe I'll try to paint this onto canvas.
Hmmmmm....trouble focusing....in more ways than one!!! I love Autumn. I love October in particular. The colors are amazing...the air is crisp...the SC State Fair has arrived...Candy and Caramel Apples...Pumpkins, Halloween...LOVE IT ALL! Congrats to Tilara she won 2nd place for her Vanilla Pound Cake at the State Fair. There are a lot of cakes to compete against. Way to Go, Tilara!!!
Strange, yes...but I like strange...I have no idea how this happened! It is amusing how your brain makes leaps from one thing to the next thing...I was making my bed this morning, as I was smoothing the down blanket we have I started thinking about the feather beds I slept in as a child in Germany. We would visit my Oma and Tante and assorted relatives...all the children would be piled into the very large downstairs bedroom with several beds loaded down with flannel sheets and thick goose down feather beds...the window would be opened a crack YEAR ROUND...once you jumped in and warmed up, you wanted to stay...at that time outhouses were still being used. Dark, wooden outhouses with spiders! A bucket was placed in the corner of the room in case you absolutely could not ignore the call of nature! Who wants to go out in the freezing cold and use the DARK outhouse?! You were considered to be very lucky if you were too small or too young to get the job of emptying the bucket. I never had to empty the bucket! My aunt and cousins have indoor plumbing now...prior to that a bath would be heated in the cellar...almost as bad as the outhouse in terms of the creepiness factor. You were lucky if you were the only girl (me) and therefore got the first and warmest bath! I love my bathrooms...having more than one...immediately having hot water...
Monday, October 6, 2008
Having a bad hair day!!!
Handprints taken at Montessori School around 1986.
Puts herself in the corner!
Here's to many more happy returns! Love MOM