Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thankful Thursday


A friend of mine recently mentioned on her blog that she and her family changed their language from saying "I HAVE to" to "I GET to". I recently sent a card to a friend that said "Any Day you are Above Ground is a Good Day" I love these examples of positive thinking. The ever thoughtful people at a restaurant that shall remain nameless, put some overripe, mushy, nasty lettuce on my chicken sandwich which unfortunately I did not notice until I bit into said sandwich. Yuk!!! The point here is that I was so sick all night and into this morning that I have been mighty irritable. Toss in some road rage and possibly smacking the guy talking on his cell phone as he walked directly in front of my car...anyway...the grumpiness was getting out of control. In an effort to return to some semblance of sanity I thought maybe I should count my blessings! And buy myself some gorgeous flowers at The Fresh Market. Just stepping through the doors made my senses happy. My eyes beheld all the gorgeous, succulent fruits and vegetables with their vast array of colors! I was able to smell freshly baked bread and rotisserie chicken. I ran my fingers across some lovely heirloom tomatoes...wondering what they taste like...at $4 something a pound I am a bit reluctant to try them. I do wonder if they taste as good as they look! I purchased some honest to goodness ginger ale for my tummy and it tasted so good, not sweet and syrupy but crisp and gingery. I heard the busy hum of employees working and people shopping. As I was admiring the flowers, trying to make a choice, a lady mentioned the absolutely beautiful orchids...so simple yet so stunning. I purchased a tropical looking arrangement with Lillies and Gerbera Daisies, Palm Leaves and some other type of exotic leaves. It makes my office so much brighter and cheerful. I still do not feel great, however, I know this too will pass. It is a "light" day at the office I can relax and not feel stressed due to deadlines and demands. Today I am thankful that I have an "inside" job and am not out in the sweltering heat! I am thankful that I am finally able to improve the appearance of our office. I love looking at all the plants I recently purchased to make the work environment greener and more beautiful. I realized that I need to walk into beauty each day. Just because. Just because I am the lone woman in an office full of men. Even though we are commercial contractors a little beauty is a good thing. The "men" have noticed and actually like the chairs, lamp, table (courtesy of my garage) and the plants! I am thankful it is Thursday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you found beauty today! Fresh flowers are so fun! I had a grumpy day yesterday...then I went for a walk after the rain stopped. I took my camera and snapped pictures of all the things that caught my eye - there is so much beauty in the world when we take the time to look!
You've inspired me to buy myself some flowers today =D.

Anonymous said...

Good one. I've been thinking off and on about Kristi's blog as well. I have this old friend who's never complained around her about going to work because one day about ten years ago, she'd heard enough and asked, "Thomas, had you rather be going to work or going in for chemotherapy?" He got the message...and so did I! Things aren't perfect in anyone's workplace all the time, but just to have the energy and stamina to go and do is a blessing.

By the way, I love the Fresh Market too. The music adds to the ambience. Plus, it was one of my mother's favorite haunts, and everytime I go there, I remember how she'd always get a little cup of coffee from that cool silver urn.

Jack and Erika said...

Roadtrip to Savannah, Georgia! Get all the girls and let's go shopping at the Tanger Outlets!

Connie said...

Yep...I am all about the flowers!

scchesleys said...

I love flowers of any kind, but can't seem to grow them. I'm thinking I'll try again in the spring.

I'm thankful for wonderful friends like you!

Jack and Erika said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! I will also be waiting in line (Jack's parents will be here.. so Jack keeps saying, "You're seriously going to get it tonight?!?" Haha, I have been counting down the days!