Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In which she ran away


Sunday dawned bright and beautiful. My grandson had one of the first parts in the primary program at church. He was such a little man and presented his part in front of 200+ people with aplomb! All the children were amazing presenting their songs (solos, duets, trios etc. and as a large group) and giving their talks and scriptures. I was so moved I believe I dribbled tears throughout the entire presentation. Feeling a little overwhelmed and emotionally drained from several weeks of "drama" (for lack of a better word) I left church after the program and thought I would talk DH into a Sunday drive. The idea popped into my head that I would just take off on my own and find a rock, some water and the splendors of Autumn in "the mountains" (this was largely due to the fact that I could not locate my dear husband) Hmph...I packed journal, books, camera, water bottle and a change of clothes...put the top down and took off...not sure where the road would take me...if you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter which road you take (that may be from Lewis Carroll) As I cruised into North Carolina, a spur of the moment decision was made to take the "back roads" to Chimney Rock. Good choice, a most delightful drive down curvy roads through farm lands and horse country. The final curve before arrival at Lake Lure and the Lake just explodes in front of you in a dazzling array of blues with autumnal colors all around. Absolutely breath-taking. Looking for just the right spot to perch, keep driving around the Lake and towards the town of Chimney Rock. Apparently, everybody had the same idea for a Sunday drive...too crowded, taking the "back road" I believe #9 to Black Mountain. This is the road that a sports car was designed for...the S curves were phenomenal, sometimes the car was turned so sharply the front looked like it was meeting the rear! While exciting this type of driving is exhausting. It was beautiful! Just couldn't seem to find the right spot to sit and reflect. Too tired to go back the way I came and not sure how to get home from Black Mountain, no GPS on board and no map...took I-40 in what felt like the wrong direction...
daughter calls and asks if I would like to go to dinner in which this mother replies, I am lost in North Carolina, I don't think I'll be back in time for dinner. I. Just. Want. A. Map. Does anyone sell maps anymore???? See a sign for a highway and a town I recognize! Yipee! Swallow buckets of pride and call dear husband hoping that we BOTH have cell signals and he can direct me home. Stay on that road until you see I-85 east and follow it to I-77 and take that road on home. I-85 runs NORTH and SOUTH, Honey and have we lost our signal and well let's just take I-85 SOUTH because we want to get to SOUTH Carolina...oh no no no...drive, drive, drive finally see a sign for Columbia, SC...immediately freak out because it is another 93 miles just to Columbia and we must drive 20 minutes beyond. Stop to get gas, take a potty break, get some caffeine and call DH and tell him the latest...in which he replies...you should have called me back...oh brother! Finally, finally there is my home, home sweet home and where is that darn husband now? Go directly to bathroom and fill jacuzzi with water. Sweet relief!
Running away from home as a child was a much easier proposition...you just packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and stayed in the woods all day until you were missed and heard your Mom calling you home. Have you ever felt the need in your adult life to run away and hide? Or the need to reflect and meditate, clear your head by yourself kind of moments? I say take a bath and STAY OUT OF THE CAR!!! All was not lost as it was a most beautiful excursion albeit an exhausting 8 hour tour of North Carolina in all her splendor.


10 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh my. I'm glad you made it back all right.

Anonymous said...

LOL. GPS for Christmas! I do believe you could get lost in a wet paper bag

scchesleys said...

I have to agree with Michelle, DH needs to get you a GPS for Christmas. Glad you made it back okay. You're braver than I, I hardly ever go anywhere completely by myself!

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

Ok, now you know one of the reasons I could never really take a road trip. I could get lost in my bathtub. Esp. now that hubby got me a great, big soaking tub. Maybe I could have pool parties in my tub? But I digress. Anyway, I get so dyslexic when i'm driving it's crazy. I am soooo glad you got back ok, and apparently having a horrible time is what makes it an ADVENTURE!!! (do you ever read Patrick McManus?)

But I do understand the need to get away to some place beautiful! I think we all spend too much time indoors in front of our computers!

Anonymous said...

That photograph is breathtakingly beautiful! Although you got lost and probably a bit shaken up, I appreciate the gift of the photograph that the road trip provided. You're a gutsy gal!

About the program, yes, Hunter handled his part with aplomb...and then some. I honestly think it was the best program I've seen in 14 years when Paul was still in Primary.

Alona said...

I lived in Black Mountian when I was 20 yrs old. It is soooo very beautiful up there.
I am glad that you made it home. I love getting in the car like that and just driving. I usta make day trips to Charleston all of the time. I really need to do that more often. Now that gas prices are a little more reasonable, I might have to do that. Thanks for reminding me of how wonderful it is to get out and just go.
Oh and yes the GPS can be a life saver. I use mine even when I know where I can going, just cause I can. lol

Jack and Erika said...

Wow, Italy!! I'm jealous.. maybe that'll be our next trip......

Anonymous said...

dear connie,

i adore you dearly...but tried to leave a comment two times yesterday and kept getting kicked out because i wasn't signed into wordpress. this left me feeling a bit salty.

okay..i'm better now.

on to your little excursion!!! how could you possibly wind up a hundreds of miles from home in one afternoon?!?! i'm thankful that you're not my road trip co-pilot. we might still be circling around somewhere in the midwest.

i second, third, and fourth the idea that you get a GPS.

xoxo
cwg

Connie said...

The first part of the journey was to "intentionally" get lost, the last part not so much!!!
To all my friends I am actually guite a good navigator when I have directions or a MAP!!! So I guess this means none of you will travel with me????
CWG, I was wondering where you were...was starting to feel salty myself...

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, savor every moment is what I say! Be careful what you wish for...

Sounds like a wonderful, spontaneous journey, which made you appreciate home all the more.

Thanks for taking us along!