Monday, May 2, 2011

Getting Trashed or a little bit of This and That



Columbia Design League's 2011 Runaway Runway...featuring fashion designed solely from trash and recycled materials...no new products allowed. 


A couple of friends joined me Friday evening for an avant garde fashion show and event.  All outfits were made from 100% post consumer trash.  Ranging from recycled cemetary flowers to coffee bags, pepsi cans, car parts...you name it!  I have been interested in participating for years.  The Lady Chablis (of the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) was in attendance and that is one funny character.  Musical numbers were performed by various artists including a group of drag queens.  The spectators were almost as colorful as the performers.   The youngest designer was nine years old and there was a grandma or two in the mix as well.  I apologize for the blurry photos...I needed a reminder that I would like to design something for next year!  I am looking at trash in a new way.

Dear Husband and I visited the "Who Shot Rock and Roll" photography exhibit at our local art museum.  DH was in attendance during some of the concerts depicted and he had a bit of a stroll down memory lane.
He was interested in the musicians portrayed...I was interested in the photography techniques...win, win.  I saw a college of cut and pasted photos that inspired me to create something in that direction as well.  I continue to be amazed by what a slight change in perspective can do for your creative life.  Sometimes all it requires is a tilted head to see something from a different angle.

Here are my little creative genius granddarlings...leftover 3D glasses and booklamps...they clipped them on and proceded to play dentist.  Anna selected one of my knitting implements to examine my teeth...I am happy to report that I have no cavities and all teeth are still intact.

Anna was in a dance pageant recently...when asked if she was sad that she didn't win she said " I won a trophy, I had a lot of fun and I did something really hard"  My little precious is only five and one wise little girl!  She performed a solo dance to a Justin Bieber song in front of a pretty large crowd!

So what excitement have you been up to lately?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I would have LOVED to see that recycled clothing show - too cool!! You continue to amaze Connie, always seeing the best in the world and tohers. Your granddarlings (and the rest of the fam) are truly blessed to have you. XOXO

Jayne said...

I love Anna's comment about working really hard and having a lot of fun. That little sweetheart already knows one of the big secrets to life. Oh, and I'm glad she didn't find any cavities.

Joanna Jenkins said...

High Five to Anna and her great attitude. Congratulations on her trophy.

Love the 3-D glasses with the lights. That looks like a fun trick I'll be trying with the young nieces and nephews in the near future.

What a total blast that fashion show sounds like. I love the recycled requirement and bet the creativity was pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing your news. All's well here too. Cheers, jj