Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"Once in a Blue Moon"

"Many of the instances in which we see colors in nature are due to a physical phenomenon called scattering. Scattering occurs when a beam or wave of light is scattered in a range of directions as a result of physical interaction with particles in its way. Outdoorsmen have unwittingly observed the scattering effect for many centuries. A much-mistaken incidence of scattering leads to the widespread phrase, “Once in a blue moon.” This phrase is accurate with its connotation of rarity, but those who coined it claimed that the uncommon event was just a cyclical happening associated with the Moon’s proximity to Earth. In truth, it is wholly due to scattering in the atmosphere. Forest fires and violent volcanic eruptions can fill the sky with tiny particles that will provide more of a scattering effect than is normal." For more info on the scattering effect see www.sewanee.edu/.../Worthington/Worthington.htm

Tonight we will have our first full moon of the month...the next full moon "the blue moon" occurs on December 31st.

It seems impossible to me that we are reaching the end of another year! I have been contemplating the word I will choose for 2010. I quit doing resolutions many years ago and now choose a word each year to be a reminder of my intentions and aspirations for the year. It works. It is probably about time to start nagging Jayne about her word for the year...she always chooses a great one!

I enjoyed a milestone birthday this year...I am finally middle aged (50) and have already had all the "crisis" I need... so my intention for 2010 is to fully embrace who I have become in 50 years and continue living the best life.

Back to the "blue moon phenomenom" it is said anything started and completed within the cycles of a full moon will culminate with great success! Here is an opportunity to complete some goals and end 2009 with a BANG!!! Maybe you are waiting for something, whatever is standing in your way...take a chance...after all...it only comes "once in a blue moon"

Here is a great idea from Jamie Ridler Studios: Remembering 2009

What was the highlight?
What was the low point?
What are you proud of?
What was fun?
What has changed?
What has stayed the same?
What did you say yes to?
What did you say no to?
What challenged you?
Who are the new people in your life?
What will you be glad to leave behind?
What do you want to remember?
What would you like to celebrate?
What did you love about this year?
If this year was a painting, what colours would it be?
What do you want to take with you into 2010?

So here's to wishing you a wonderful December complete with two full moons! May all your dreams wishes and intentions come to you. I highly suggest some moon watching with loved ones. Frank, Elvis, Ella and I are off to sing "Blue Moon" Peace and Love Ya'll (thanks Kristi)

7 comments:

beth said...

I love all those questions....

something to contemplate late at night with my journal and favorite pen in my hands....

Hayden Tompkins said...

If this year was a color it would be orange. When the leaves turn, it is the end of a season and almost the end of the year.

As you know, I absolutely love the idea of choosing a direction instead of a resolution.

In fact, every year around this time I think of you and Marlajayne and how I met you both over a word. :)

Jayne said...

Love this post. It's educational, pretty (blue moon), and thought provoking. I'm going to ask DH these questions so we can reflect on 2009 together.

Hmmm. What's my word for 2010 going to be?

christina said...

These questions are amazing! So thoughtful.
And that photo is just glorious!
: )

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

I love full moons! So romantic and melancholy. As for resolutions, I suppose I can just use last year's, since I never seem to have found time for them this year...

Anonymous said...

I finally live someplace I can see the stars, and the moon from our backyard fills the sky.

Anonymous said...

all i can think of now is the song 'blue moon.' it's stuck in my head thanks to you! :)

i can't believe 2010 is upon us...where has the time gone?