Monday, December 14, 2009


Have you been reflective of 2009 or are you too busy rushing around to think about it? Seventeen days left of this month, this year and then we begin anew...a New Year...a New month.


I have been "inside" my own head too much lately. They like me there...no expectations but my own. The danger in this is the disconnect from everything around and about. These musings and thoughts wake me up at the ridiculous hour of 3 a.m. almost every morning without fail. It is hard to do anything when you are exhausted. I have been obsessing a bit about being so caught up in the survival mode that there is a tendency to forget to slow down and enjoy the moment. Hurry up and do this and that. Oxymoronic (yeah, I am pretty sure that is a hybrid of the real word) Overly meditative versus hurry up there is more to be done and you are not getting enough done.


A few years ago I began choosing a word for the year rather than making a resolution...as I had the same resolutions for over ten years...THAT was obviously not working. The word gives me a direction to travel and I make better progress. So in typical fashion I began thinking of a word for 2010...just one word? I had a word in mind and it didn't seem "cool" enough or cute enough to post on a sign or bracelet as a reminder...I denied my word. I have been obsessing and thinking "and you thought a resolution was difficult, you can't even pick a word, one word." I threw a bunch of words in the pot and looked at it for a long time...fished my hand around til I had two and felt the edges like I could tell what was on one piece of paper from another!

What do you suppose happened...well of course it did...I chose the word that I have been thinking about and discarding for a month. More irony...the word is RELEASE...


The tendency to hold onto things when they no longer serve the greater good...objects...relationships that no longer work well for either party...thoughts...traditions...that reel that keeps playing in your head saying this is the way you have always done this...these are the areas in which I plan to apply the word I so desperately did not want as my word for the year. It already feels like the right choice.
*image is not mine...unable to find proper documentation...(many take credit)

7 comments:

Hayden Tompkins said...

I think "release" is a fantastic word. I just get this vision of breath and relaxation, the energy of letting go.

I can see how releasing relationships and traditions and your stuff would be challenging on a heart level.

You love so fully that maybe you feel that you are giving up by letting go?

I know this is the perfect word at the perfect time. {hug}

Now I just have to figure out what my word is going to be!

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

I think Release is an excellent choice. It isn't easy to do, but there is such a sense of joy when you do! We've been getting rid of a lot of things, and every time I am able to let something go, I feel so free inside, like there's more room and I can breathe. Obviously, I don't only mean physical things, but those too. Clutter can be stifling!

Yolanda said...

I so agree with this post and I have chosen mine it is enough.I love all of your visits and consider you a friend.

Anonymous said...

Love your word and the symbolism behind it. I'm still working on mine. I'm thinking of "be" as opposed to "do," but the jury's still out.

Christy Peake said...

Still thinking too..I have a few ideas though. LOVE, "release."

Relyn Lawson said...

Seventeen days?? You do know how to wake a girl up, don't you?

christina said...

I'm still thinking of my words for 2010. And yes, I so need to get out of my own head.
Release, is a fantastic word! No brilliant!
xo