Thursday, October 15, 2009

In the Pink - Writing and Creating

Martha Stewart Living and Ford Warriors in Pink have joined forces to donate proceeds from a stamping kit to raise funds for breast cancer research. The kit has a variety of colors and lovely stamps to create a number of fun projects...ideas can be found in the Martha Stewart Living magazine or you can "do your own thing".



I love to receive emails and to "talk" with friends on facebook...however more than that...I absolutely ADORE receiving cards and letters the old fashioned way through the United States Postal Service. I enjoy sending my own creations...cards and embellished letters and envelopes to my friends. Yolanda at Perfectly Imperfect made some suggestions for letter writing groups. I remained pen pals with a friend from Germany for over fifteen years...it was good fun. Alas, I do not write near as many cards and letters as I did in years past. If anyone is interested in exchanging cards or letters let me know in the comments section and we can work out the details!



My husband and I would write each other letters and notes...sometimes they would be silly like the ones written by a younger child such as do you like me...check yes, no, maybe...my husband writes the most heartfelt, sweet letters complete with pictures! My daughters and I kept a notebook that we wrote back and forth to each other...often containing very bad poetry and limericks. I find it very difficult to part with my notes and spent a greater part of an afternoon reading the very first cards, notes and letters written by my children...so sweet and now my grandchildren are "writing" and drawing pictures...too sweet.



I think of some of the letters written in days gone by...some published in books...some collected by family members...the day to day thoughts expressed so lovingly. It is definitely becoming a lost art. My Mother and Father wrote daily letters to each other when he was stationed in Viet Nam...often it would take weeks to receive them. On occasion Dad would write separate letters to my brothers and me instead of including a line in Mom' s letters. I remember the letters from Germany...the struggle to read a language in which I was quickly losing ground. Now it is a phone call...nice...I miss the letters.



To those suffering a devastating illness, a card or letter is most appreciated by most. I have received thank you notes for offering such a simple kindness. Each of us know someone that is suffering from physical illness, heartache or other grief...send them your thoughts...it is not always easy to say the right thing...if your heart is involved the message will be heard and deeply appreciated.



To my dear friends and family suffering the ravages of disease...I think of you and pray for you daily with a loving heart. Peace be with you.

8 comments:

beth said...

i agree...a card or a package that comes in the mail is unexpected, but so dearly loved......

Anonymous said...

I love snail mail! I'm just not very good at actually getting my butt into gear and actually posting stuff! I have your address... and a milestone birthday card... think I should post something to you... :o)Soon!

Connie said...

Good grief...I did not proof read this very well :) I am going to let it stand as is though!

kath said...

I think receiving mail is so meaningful because of the time it takes to sit and write and then actually get the letter into the post ...
I popped over from Christina's.

Anonymous said...

This is so inspiring...just what I needed to read. When DH and I get through eating the delicious salmon stew that's simmering on the stove, I'm going to go upstairs and write some long overdue notes.

christina said...

i adore mail. a handwritten letter with thought, is better than a bill, any day. ; )
xo
i love this stamp set.

Putz said...

i have just mow left an obit on a dear friend who has passed at 59 of cancer, i grieve for him, paul e fore

Putz said...

marla jayne, samon stew, all i can say is where's the BEEF