Monday, January 5, 2009

Believe


Believe - Merriam Webster's online dictionary:

1 a: to have a firm religious faith b: to accept as true, genuine, or real

2: to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something

3: to hold an opinion

or
1 a: to consider to be true or honest

b: to accept the word or evidence of

2: to hold as an opinion or suppose

A couple of years ago I came across Christine Kane, an amazing folk singer, blogger and songwriter. Christine also leads retreats for women. My life has greatly been touched by attending two of her retreats and an e-seminar. When I first started reading her blog several years ago...she suggested choosing a word for the year rather than a "New Year's Resolution"
This sounded like fun and has been very enlightening for me. I typed up the usual New Year's Resolution one year, taped it in my closet (where I would see it each day) and with good intentions began my new year. A year later, I read the "resolution" only to find that just about everything on the list still applied...so I left it in the closet for another year. Obviously, this method was NOT working. I do accomplish many goals but not the ones on my "list". I mentioned the word of the year to my friend Jayne and we thought it would be great fun to do this together. We nagged each other back and forth about choosing the right word and we finally chose! I am noticing on many of the blogs I read that this seems to be gaining in popularity. If you are on the fence about your goals...this is a great way to think in a one word term about what you wish to accomplish. Jayne and I have a lot of friends that are pursuing this option as well with a good success rate! So thanks, Christine for the idea/suggestion.

I have been tossing around several words for weeks...believe just kept "popping up" I will be fifty years young in 19 days. I am looking towards a half century with excitement and some trepidation, mostly excitement! It has taken me quite awhile to just BE and to LIVE in the present moment, to be true to myself and to love myself for who I am. As is my way, I set a huge amount of goals before turning fifty...some doable and others not so much. There were a few things I didn't factor in the plan, however I am back on task with a more realistic idea of where I am heading. There are many things I do BELIEVE without hesitation...I believe in God the Father and his son Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit...I have personal experiences with Faith and the lack thereof...Faith is absolutely better! I have a belief in the power of love and peace to overcome many obstacles. I believe in the goodness of people. I believe in my family and the unconditional love we have for each other. So with all these beliefs and then some, why would I choose the word believe...simply because I wish to continue to believe in myself...believe that I can overcome my health issues, believe that I can continue to be an asset to our family's company and mostly to believe that I can create something wonderful each day! The added bonus to the word believe is that the words BE and LIVE are within this word. I want to live each day with Joy and Vitality. I just want to BE who I am unequivocally and just BE in the present moment. "The past is history, the future a mystery, the present is a gift" I do not remember the origin of the quote.

My challenge to you, my friends, is to try the word of the year or theme if you will...let me know how it works out for you. And no that is not me in the t shirt, maybe next year...sigh!


12 comments:

persistentillusion said...

Holy cow! Your birthday totally snuck up on me!!

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

This is a cool idea, and something to focus on without feeling like a failure next year! (I told my son one of my resolutions, and he said "That's what you said last year!") That shirt reminds me of something a friend used to say. Do you remember the old bumper sticker, God said it, I believe it, that settles it? Well, my friend always said, "No, God said it, that settles it, whether I believe it or not!" I choose to believe it!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I somehow had a feeling that this is the word you were going to settle on. By the way, I think you gave me the letters to the word believe, and they're in my office; however, they're arranged as BE and LIVE as reminders to everyone who comes in. I gave the extra E to Elizabeth to use on her desk. She loves it.

What are we doing for your big day? We'll have to discuss this at book club Thursday night.

lotusgirl said...

Hey girl! I love that t-shirt. Next year, baby! You and me! I love this whole idea of a word for the year. I've seen it in several blogs I regularly follow and have been thinking about it. You're pushing on into too.

Lois

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I like the word you chose and the way you broke it into be and live.

And I turned 50 four months ago. It's not so bad.

Pippa * Jeanne said...

BE & LIVE, now that just knocks my socks off! Wonderful & inspiring post, Connie, thank you so much.

My word is WILL, because I just realized yesterday that I cannot offer up my will to God's if I have never truly had a will of my own. Time to set my own will for this year, and honour His name by LIVING.

But BE and LIVE is going to stick in my mind, thanks to you. =)

A wonderful, beautiful, glorious 2009 to you!

love,
Pippa
Pippa's Porch

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie! I like your word :)

I did the word of the year last year and it was great! Resolutions never worked for me. My word last year was Heal and it was a HUGE healing year for me.

I'm going with Trust this year - I"m excited (and a bit scared!) to see where it takes me :)

Anonymous said...

That's a truly great word and one I can associate with.

My word is "clear" - to become clearer in whom I am, where I'm headed, what I want to mean in this life. De-cluttering is very much part of that, especially for this month.

A happy 2009 to you and yours, Connie!

Anonymous said...

What a great post Connie. I BELIEVE it suits you to a T.

SORRY! couldn't resist. hardy-har.

xoxoxo

House of Squitty said...

I love this idea, thanks for putting it out there because I share your distain for the old school new years resolution. Now I just need a word.

Yolanda said...

I love your word choice and why you chose it. Thanks for sharing it and being you.

Chat with Kathleen said...

I love your word believe.
This past Christmas I actually gave as gifts, white hand towels with the word believe in silver embroidery and silver plaques that stand and spell B-E-L-I-E-V-E.

Having a word for the year is better than resolutions that are si difficult so keep.